Friday, June 26, 2015

Losing oneself

For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and for the gospel's; the same shall save it. Mark 9:35

I thought I knew what it meant, but when I read it again, it dawned on me that in the back of my mind, losing one's life has always meant physically. I knew it wasn't limited to that, but when I would read that verse, I saw visions of Christians in an arena with lions, or being burned at the stake or beheaded by terrorists. The depth that should have been there, just wasn't.

After a short round of giving myself up to the direction God wanted me to go yesterday, I read those words again and saw it. We have no right to our emotions and anxieties when we give ourselves up to God. We die - lose our lives - daily, as Paul said.

When we are sold out to God (and most of us go in and out of that condition), our greatest desire is to do what God asks of us, even if means giving up the way we feel about something or our own plans and hopes.


No comments:

Post a Comment